What is a Senior Move Manager?
A Senior Move Manager is a professional who specializes in assisting older adults and their families with the emotional and physical aspects of relocation and/or “aging in place.” Though many senior move managers have backgrounds in gerontology, social work, health care, nursing and psychology, others come to this industry from the corporate world of project management, technology, accounting or marketing.
What all senior move managers share, however, is a profound commitment to connecting with older adults and a desire to perform meaningful work. Although specific services vary, most Senior Move Managers can help with some or all of the following:
- Developing an overall move or “age in place” plan
- Organizing, sorting and downsizing
- Customized floor plans
- Arranging for the profitable disposal of unwanted items through auction, estate sale, buy-out, consignment, donation
- Interviewing, scheduling and overseeing movers
- Arranging shipments and storage
- Supervise and oversee professional packing
- Unpacking and setting up the new home
- Related services, such as cleaning, waste removal, shopping, senior escort, assisting with selection of a realtor and helping prepare the home to be sold.
Some senior move managers provide these services directly; others function in more of an oversight or management role.
What are the real benefits of senior move management services?
- Senior move managers have significant expertise in resources and approaches that save money, reduce stress and produce quality results.
- Services are client-centered and personalized to meet the client’s needs and preferences. Families, particularly, should never doubt the power of an outside expert!
- NASMM members are reviewed for insurance and experience requirements prior to acceptance.
- Ongoing educational programs reflect the NASMM commitment to professionalism and to working with older adults.
- NASMM has developed a Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice for all members.
How much do senior move management services cost?
- Fees can vary considerably by geographic region and the services requested.
- Fees may be charged on an hourly basis or by packaging the cost of the entire job at one price. It depends client by client.
- NASMM members will always outline the cost of a job through a written estimate before payment is required.
Can I still contact your company to do some of the work, as we will do some as a family to save money?
Yes, a menu of services is offered from which you can choose and you pay accordingly. The ultimate goal is to ease the stress of the move process for older adults and family members, not add to your concerns.
What questions should I ask when deciding to contract with a senior move manager?
- How long have you been providing senior move management services?
- What are your professional credentials?
- Have you participated in any formal training programs?
- Are you fully insured for liability and workers’ compensation?
- How do you charge? (Fees should be provided in writing to the consumer or responsible party prior to providing services).
- Will you provide a written contract?
- Can you provide references?
- Are you a member of the National Association of Senior Move Managers (NASMM)?
We offer a free on-site consultation with no time limit!